FALL CREW PRACTICE TIMES AND INFORMATION
We would like to officially welcome all rowers and parents to the 2017-2018 Rowing Season. Fall sports at HHS officially start this week, crew practice will begin as follows:
CURRENT PRACTICE SCHEDULE:
VARSITY (Returning Rowers): Monday, August 28th
FRESHMEN + NOVICE ROWERS: Tuesday, September 5th
**BOYS: Current Practice Time at 3:15PM
**GIRLS: Current Practice Time at 4:00PM
**Practice times WILL CHANGE as we get up and running. I will post practice start and end times by Labor Day.
EQUIPMENT FROM HINGHAM LIGHT PLANT TO BARNES WHARF PRIOR TO PRACTICE; WE NEED HELP MAKING THE MOVE.
ALL AVAILABLE VARSITY + PARENTS: Friday, August 25th at 4PM at the Hingham Light Plant (308 Cushing Street).
We need to move our equipment to Barns Wharf before practice begins and it is our intention to have all of the equipment situated on the Barnes Wharf (and rigged if we can) before Monday's practice.
All Varsity rowers who can make it and any available parents should arrive to the Hingham Light Plant on Cushing Street at 4:00 PM on Friday, August 25th to load the trailer and to move our equipment.
We will make one trip on Friday to the waterfront and another Saturday, August 26th at 12:00 Noon immediately after the car wash (additional email coming).
A FEW REMINDERS:
• REGISTRATION: Make sure you are registered with HHS Athletics (X2) and with HHSRA and that you have current physical documentation submitted to HHS (All Athletes) and that appropriate concussion testing has been completed (Freshmen and Juniors).
• SWIM TEST: You must have taken the swim test. If you have not, there will be opportunities in the first week. You will not be allowed on the water without having taken the test.
• WATER BOTTLE: Bring your own reusable water bottle. We are diligently trying to keep empty water bottles from littering Barnes Wharf. Please make sure that the water bottle is soft sided – or cover it with a sock. We share Barnes Wharf with others so, as a team, we need to be extra attentive to the cleanliness and orderliness of the wharf.
• RUNNING SHOES: Bring running shoes to practice every day.
• PERSONAL GEAR: Please bring sunscreen and extra clothing in a backpack or bag that we can store on the wharf. Be prepared for any weather eventuality.
• FOR PARENTS / PICK UP + DROP OFF: Please drop your son or daughter at the Iron Horse “Victory” near the town beach – from which they will walk to rowing practice at Barnes Wharf. Please arrange to pick them up there as well. The coaches will be extra diligent this season with practice end times so as not to inconvenience the parents who drive.
• FOR ROWERS / PARKING: For rowers who drive: It is my preference that you, too, park in the bathing beach parking lot. Mr. Lucas at Gallery 360 has been extra supportive in allowing us to park there but I do not like seeing too many cars in his lot. He is running a business. First come, first served there for no more than 4 cars until or unless we hear differently.
• COXSWAINS: Coxswains will need an approved PFD. If you do not have one, notify your coach immediately and we will see if there may be an extra. West Marine has a sale on the basic inflatable “Inshore Automatic” PFD.
Any additional questions you have can be answered at the Fall sports meeting on the evening of the 28th.
We are looking forward to a great Harbormen Fall season and to seeing all of you on the waterfront.